Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT
Thumbs up Amateur Radio and Camping Applications for Motorola Droid Phones

I don’t intend to portray myself as a Motorola Droid salesman, and I don’t intend to compare the Droid to the iPhones at all. I certainly do not intend to start any debate over such trivial matters. However, I do own a Droid, and I have found many useful applications that are designed for the Droid that are related to Amateur Radio and camping, and I thought I would share them. Maybe someone can share some useful applications designed for the lesser inferior and unreliable iPhone.

Camp & RV, by AllStays, $3.99
www.allstays.com/apps
Use Maps or offline lookup to find: 18,000 campgrounds in USA/Canada: KOA, Private, State, National, BLM, Nat Forrest, Army Corps, Military FamCamps. 14,000 camping extras: Wal-Mart Parking Reports, Rest Areas, Truck Stops, Costco, Sam’s Club, Outdoor Supplies (Camping World, REI, Cabelas, Gander, Dicks, Bass Pro) RV Dealers, Low Clearances

Compass Pro, by James N, FREE
www.mob4.com
Compass Pro will help you determine the direction. You can use it for all your outdoor activities whether you are flying, sailing, traveling or camping. It comes with 10 different cool themes for a compass like Jack Sparrow theme, SpongeBob theme, etc. Compass Pro is a must have application for people doing outdoor activities.

Amateur Radio Call Log, by APK Labs, FREE
www.apklabs.com
Amateur Radio Call Log is a basic ham radio logging app for An droid 1.5 and above. It stores Date, Time, Station, Freq, Mode, RST, and additional comments. Also has the ability to easily look-up callsign information from the FCC database.

UTC Time (beta), by bjg222, FREE
www.bjg222.com
Simple, fast way to check current UTC/Zulu time. App syncs with internet time servers. Includes widget. Useful for pilots or aviation industry!

Scanner Buddy, by Karlan Mitchell, FREE
www.3dstoneage.com
Turn your phone into a Police Radio Scanner! Supports many major US/International cities! Additionally Fire & other public services.

Ham Radio Study, by Tango 11, FREE
www.tango11.com
Prepare for Amateur Radio examinations. Includes full question pools: Technician (effective till 2/30/2010), General (effective till 2/30/2011), Extra (effective till 6/30/2012). Asks you questions, remembers which questions you’re having trouble with. Does not yet include images, which is mostly an issue for Extra.

Ham, by Smerty Software, Free
www.smerty.org
Open source Ham Radio App for Android. View current solar data and calculated band conditions. 1.3 very minimal QRZ.com callsign lookups.

HamSatDroid, by jcrq, FREE
www.sites.google.com/site.hamsatdroid
Amateur radio satellite pass prediction. Home location’s maidenhead grid shown on pass and map views.

EchoLink, by Synergenics, LLC, FREE
www.groups.google.com/group/echolink-android
This app is for licensed Amateur Radio operators only. See www.echolink.org for more information. EchoLink for Android provides access to the EchoLink network from your Android device. You can use this app to connect to the EchoLink system from almost anywhere, using either a Wi-Fi or cellular (3G) connection.

Morse Droid, by UtopicSoft, FREE
www.utopicsoft.com/android.php?pkgid=com.twistandroid.morsedroid
*NEW SOUND added! This application converts text into Morse code, and Morse code to text, and vibrates this code.

Amateur Radio Callsign DB, by Infantry Company, FREE
www.infantrycompany.com
This app allows you to quickly and easily lookup license data for U.S. amateur radio callsigns. Search by callsign or last name.

Signals, by APK Labs, FREE
www.apklabs.com
“Signals” provides a quick and simple reference to various communications signals, such as 10/11 codes, Morse Code, Phonetic Alphabet, Police Codes, Q-Signals, and more. Great for police scanners and ham radio enthusiasts.

...and that's my
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Interesting topic.

Need an app to get ORR.net on the go!

Wish I could afford one...

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I see at least one app there that I'd be interested in... IF, I had a Droid,,, Which some day I will but not this year I fear.

Given a choice between I-Phone and Droid... There is no contest.. Droid wins.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Just curious why Droid over i-Phone? I was looking at both, and would like to know your feelings. The 8gb i-Phone 3g is $99, the 4g 16gb is $149 and the Droid is $199 all with a 2-year contract with AT&T (retired after 38 years). I believe Droid uses the Google opsys?
Thanks and 73
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

I have been with Verizon since they were Alltel, and since they were Western Wireless. My wife got the new Droid X free with a contract renewal, and I got her hand-me-down moto Droid...which was also free a year ago. Yes, Droid uses the Google operating system. I don't know if Droid is any better than the iPhone because I haven't owned one. But I am very happy with Verizon and my Droid...mainly for the applications. It is way cool to be able to talk on EchoLink with my phone!
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Exclamation APRS App For Droid

I almost left one of the coolest apps out:

APRSdroid –APRS for Android APRSdroid is an Android application for pushing your current GPS coordinates (and maybe also messages, some day) to the APRS-IS network. APRSdroid is Open Source Software written in Scala.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Default Repeater Finder (RFinder)

Here's a cool Droid application for Hams who travel frequently:

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Description

RFinder allows you to find repeaters all over the world based on your current location or a specified location. It allows sorting by distance or by Trustee callsign as well as filtering by band and radius in miles or kilometers.

25% of the proceeds of this app funds youth programs in Amateur Radio!
Repeater Finder (RFinder) taps into a worldwide repeater database, including IRLP and Echolink information. Our database is growing daily.

If we do not have your repeaters listed...please do not refund...instead please send us a national list we don't have and get a 75% refund (25% goes to fund youth programs in Amateur Radio)! It will be loaded within 48h
send to [email protected]

The application only stores information for repeaters within approximately 80 miles (125 km) from your location on your handheld at any one time, saving you room on your device. It uses geolocation either via cell tower triangulation, GPS or manual location entry (so you can look up the repeaters you will use on vacation or business trips, etc.).

If anyone has lists of repeaters from their countries we would love to incorporate that into our database. We already have:
US, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Canada, England, Scotland, Sweden, Norway, Netherlands

Worldwide IRLP and Echolink nodes.

We support 1.6 and above!

Planned Future Developments
------------------------
IRLP and Echolink Status
Integration to Google Maps
Callsign Lookup

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Default Morse Dit

http://market.android.com/details?id=hunt.morseDit

This is an excellent application for learning Morse Code. This is not a new app, but it has been recently updated to include audio--which is kind of important when learning code. The best feature is the customizable training mode which allows you to select the characters you are learning for a custom quiz.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well, just now if you want a smart phone you have limited choices
I phone is "king of the hill" but I'm kind of anti-I-phone for assorted reasons
Droid
Windows
Blackberry
Palm

I'm think ing the droid is looking better all the time Sure is trying harder.
(Old car renteal ad "We are #2, we try harder)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
KF5BET

I have the I-phone 3g.
It is a very nice phone, but I would definitely take a hard look at the droid. It is a very nice phone and I think they are trying very hard to improve their applications all the time.

I like my I-phone and have had it for just over a year. There are a ton of apps that you can get for every imagineable function. It is nice to have all of my information in one device (calendar, clock, email, internet, phone, etc.). That is also a bad thing; if it should die, get lost or stolen, you have lost everything. A coworker had his stolen, and he lost a LOT of information (contacts, calendar dates, etc.)

I am also not a great fan of AT&T. But I also believe that all cell services out there are really just about the same. Pick your poison!

Here are some apps that I have for the I-phone:

Ham exam prep (all classes are available)

Echolink (like the droid, you must possess a valid license)

Ham I Am (nice little app for general information and definitions)

HAM (OK app for links, mainly use this to track solar data)

Sun Clock (just as it says)

Morse Trainer

Satellite Tracker

iAPRS

There are a lot of other apps out there, it is just how far you want to go with it. Most of the apps listed above are free apps (i'm cheap!)

I think either way you go, you will not be dissapointed.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
KC1BUD

I guess I am a little old fashioned, and leery of lumping all my things into one device.

When I go out I carry a handy talkie, cell phone, Palm PDA and a handheld GPS if I need it. I also have a computer based GPS for the motorhome.
I also carry a blood glucose meter, meds and insulin if I am out all day.

When I start loading up to go, my wife says I look like Batman cause I carry so many things on my belt.

I almost need a check list like pilots use so I don't forget anything.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #12
One Country Boy

I've been with Verizon for several years now. The last time they offered the Droid with a 2 year contract. I almost went to it, but stuck with my Black Berry. The next time they roll around I'm definitly going with the Droid X unless something better has come along. That just seems to be the way to go these days.

Thanks for the post Chris.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Cool Droid PSK

http://www.wolphi.com/

This PSK-31 Droid app now includes ADIF import/exportable logging & macros. No interface needed. THIS IS GEEK CANDY! Only $5!!

Tags
apps, droid, echolink, satellite, study